Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The tears! The drool! :(

You would think that I'm talking about Gorgeous Girl (GG), but no... the tears and the drool are courtesy of Big Brown Eyes today. He has been sad all day and I have no idea why - just tired I guess?

We went to a new playgroup this morning and before we could even get through the door BBB was pulling on my hand not wanting to go in. I was holding GG, so did my best to drag him through the door. He's usually so chilled out, I thought surely he'll settle down once we're in there and he sees the toys. No such luck. Once we got through the door he cried and cried and cried, the whole time with a hand shoved in his mouth and drool running down his arm. All I could do was sit with him and wait for him to calm down while everyone looked on at the new mum with her hysterical child. At least GG was happy. Eventually he stopped crying and he had a play while GG slept in the carrier. He still stuck by my side, but at least he was happy. Morning tea time came around and there was even cake. Cake! Cake! BBB loves cake, I thought we might be onto a winner. BBB happily ate his cake and watched some of the kids playing chasie. But then they turned some music on, and it was LOUD. The volume must have been turned up from last use and it made everyone jump. Poor BBB in his delicate state just couldn't handle it - he burst out crying again and didn't stop. We left soon after, both exhausted.

Throughout the rest of the day he had a few more big cries. Once because I said I wouldn't read 'Mr McGee and the Biting Flea' again, another time because he fell off something and another (quite rightly) because a little boy who had come to play bit him on the shoulder.

Any mum will know this, but listening to your child crying all day is completely draining! I felt so deflated and so worried about why my usually happy, cruisy BBB was suddenly so sensitive and miserable. The usual questions run through my head: Is he sick? Is he depressed/unhappy? Am I doing a crappy job as his mum and that's why he's like this? Or... maybe it was just a bad day? We all have them, even when you're two and a half. Tomorrow is another day, so let's hope it's a better one.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely not doing a crappy job! I'd say just an off day ;)

    ReplyDelete