Saturday, December 17, 2011

Goodbyes suck

On the weekend I had to say goodbye to a very dear friend of mine. She and her family moved interstate, leaving a very big hole in my life. We had only known each other a couple of years, and we were very different people - but we grew to become good friends. More than friends really - like sisters.

Below I've written what I wrote on my card to her. One, because I know how easy it is to lose a card when you're travelling and have kids, etc, so she'll be able to come here and read it, and Two, so that I can also go back and be reminded of how much she means to me now that we no longer see each other every week.

~~~~~~~~
To my dear big sis,

Thank you for the past 2 years, 3 months and 3 days (yes, I checked!) - who would have thought after that first awkward encounter that we'd have become such good friends!

I wish I had the words to express how much you mean to me. I (and BBB too I'm sure) am going to miss you and your little family more than you realise. You're family, and it's really going to suck not seeing you and the kids all the time.

Thank you for befriending this shy, awkward, often boring, naive mum! Thank you for your humour and honesty - you've certainly opened my eyes to a side of life I've never known! Thank you for your support through my pregnancy and birth with GG - I would never have had the beautiful experience I did without your support. And thank you just for being the awesome person you are - you are a gorgeous person my friend, and I hope you learn to accept that!

I am going to miss our 'cuppa time' and our maccas lunches, and just being there to watch our kids grow up together.

Good luck with your travels and new life back in the sunny state. Please don't forget us down here.

Much love to you and the kids,

from your little sis,

S
~~~~~~~~~


At first her leaving felt surreal. Now it's slowly starting to sink in. And it really, really sucks. I keep wanting to talk to someone about how I'm feeling... and then I realise the person I want to talk to is her, and she's not here.

I know we'll see each other again (hubby and I have been talking and planning the trip already), but it's still not the same.

I'm really going to miss you sis... and all the kids. Off to have a little cry now.

2 comments:

  1. Omg I just read this (and still have the card!) and you just made me cry!!! Miss you xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete